Gingerbread Cookie Recipe by Shaina Olmanson…
Now this Gingerbread Cookie Mix Recipe from Desserts in Jars by Shaina Olmanson completely tickled my fancy this holiday season! Imagine, an entire book dedicated to desserts in jars!
More than 50,000 readers flock to Shaina’s blog Food for My Family (one of PBS’ top “Food Blogs We Loved in 2011”) every month for menu planning tips and family-friendly recipes that reflect her commitment to healthful, local, and seasonal cooking.
Desserts in Jars features 50 recipes for inventive sweet treats in small packages (sounds like the Tapas Amador philosophy for sure). This combination of “ready to eat” and “ready to give” jarred desserts makes this a great cooking companion this holiday season.
Shaina has made it even easier to gift these delicious mixes by including beautiful downloadable gift mix tags that can be found HERE… LOVE that!
Gingerbread Cookie Mix Recipe
Give the gift of cookies that they can enjoy whenever the mood strikes them. An easy gingerbread cookie mix in a jar makes a great teacher gift this Christmas and holiday season.
- 1 quart-sized glass jar with a lid
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup packed muscovado or dark brown sugar
- Small containers of sprinkles
- Cookie cutter
Directions For Assembling Jar
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 ¾ cups flour and the ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves, and nutmeg. Add in an even layer to the jar.
- Layer the brown sugar, followed by the remaining 1 ¾ cup flour. Top the jar with the lid and decorate.
To Make Gingerbread Cookies:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup molasses
Mix together butter, eggs, and molasses. Stir in the contents of the jar until incorporated. Chill the dough for 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Roll out gingerbread dough and cut into shapes and then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges just start to brown. Allow to cool completely. Decorate with icing and sprinkles.
Makes 1 gingerbread cookie mix